Paleo aka Caveman aka Stone Age diet is one of the popular diets followed for weight loss. The protein-rich, low-carb diet typically includes whole, unprocessed foods like lean meats, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables etc. The diet mimics the dietary plan followed in the Paleolithic Era, which dates back to over millions of years ago.
Why is the Paleo diet believed to be healthy?
The point of the paleo diet is to retrace our steps and change our diet to the way our ancestors ate. Back then only few people fall prey to chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Advocates of paleo diet believe that ancestors were healthier largely due to their diet. They claim that several foods that emerged later are the reason for health concerns.
All foods that weren’t available during the period like grains, dairy products, added sugar, legumes, processed foods etc are shunned away. These foods which are a part of modern diet is believed to be genetically mismatched to our body and considered to be the reason behind several diseases. Check out the foods you can and should not include in your paleo meal plan.
Foods to include in weight loss meal plans dubai
- Meat such as beef, goat, lamb, venison
- Poultry like turkey, chicken, duck, goose
- Seafood including tuna, salmon, mackerel, trout, cod, anchovies, catfish
- Egg yolk and white
- Fruits like apples, oranges, plums, blueberries, strawberries, banana
- Vegetables like cauliflower, bell peppers, broccoli, kale, onions, spinach, zucchini
- Cashews, almonds, walnuts, pistachios
- Seeds like chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds
Foods to avoid:
- Legumes like beans, lentils, chickpeas, lentils
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese, butter, kefir
- Grains like rice, bread, pasta, barley, quinoa, faro
- Refined vegetable oils
- Processed foods like cookies, chips, pretzels, fast food
- Artificial sweeteners
- Added sugar like candies, bakes goods, table sugar, desserts
Benefits of following Paleo diet:
Low carb diet:
Several studies reveal that a low-carb diet works better than a low-fat diet when it comes to weight loss. Paleo diet stays away from foods that are high in carbs like rice, bread, potatoes etc thereby restricting the amount of carbs consumed.
The paleo meal plan includes nutrient-rich foods and totally shuns processed foods that have high calorific value. The protein-rich foods consumed are filling and keep hunger pangs at bay. Apart from this, cutting off unnatural foods contributes to weight loss.
Controls Type 2 diabetes:
The low-carb diet lowers the pancreas’ response to secrete insulin. The decreased insulin secretion increases insulin sensitivity which proves beneficial for people with Type 2 Diabetes.
Since the diet plan relies mostly on protein and meat, your muscles are fueled with protein, which promotes a leaner physique.
Problem with Paleo diet:
Though the Paleo diet is protein-rich, it doesn’t include certain food groups that are nutritious in other ways like iron, copper, fiber which are essential for a balanced-diet. The diet is expensive and difficult to follow for long-term since many foods are off-limits.
Paleo diet is healthy and helps with weight loss. However, it isn’t the right fight for everyone planning to lose weight. People with calcium and Vitamin D deficiency should avoid Paleo diet. If you are having any heart condition, it is important to talk to your doctor before starting it.